Monday, January 24, 2011

Business Liability Insurance for the Wedding Photographer



I haven't shared a DPS article in a long time! I read them everytime I see their little email pop up in my inbox and it is a wealth of information for both new and experienced photographers. There are many articles there that attract my attention and there are others where I feel like I just have to share them because they are so important to me.

One such article I recently read has to do with business liability insurance, but it specificly talks about wedding photographers and the importance of wedding photographers being insured.

The way I see it is this, in it's simplest form: Would you own a car and drive it around without having it insured?

The simple answer is NO.

Why? Because if you get into a bad accident, you are stuck with a pretty hefty bill to fix your car, and not only that, you might also get stuck with a hospital bill. It just makes sense to have yourself insured and avoid all the headache.

I know that when you are starting out, most of us start off as having this beautiful hobby called photography, because you have a passion for it and friends might say that you are really good. I know that we have ALL been there. The most successful photographers today have started their career that very same way, and because you are just starting out, you don't have the slightest clue where's up or down. You just kind of dive in right? I believe in being honest with yourself, with your industry peers, and most important, with your clients. I have been there. You can get caught up with owning beautiful nice equipment, lenses, photoshop, computer etc. Those things are important. But sometimes, when we start out our endeavor, we can't forsee the business side of things, what things can happen while we are out doing what we love, shooting.

What if your loose your memory card? What if you accidently delete your clients photos and lost them forever? What if you equipment got stolen? What if someone trips over your bag during a wedding? What if your computer fails and you can no longer retreive your clients images, editing software, etc?

There are many many more scenarios we can ask ourselves, but wouldn't you want to be insured? Clients who really value photography will pay good money for it. They expect you to act and run your business like a professional and deliver a good product. But also, not only that. They want peace of mind that their treasured memories are in good hands. And I am sure you do too as the photographer.

Therefore, I recommend that you read this wonderful article. I know alot of us wished we knew in the beginning what we know now. But you know what? Like with all things in life, it's a learning process that will never stop and don't feel discouraged to follow your passion. Just take these things into consideration and prioritize your business goals.

I'm an aweful writer and this blog post is far too long so I will leave it at that :) If you have any questions at all about liability insurance, please feel free to shoot me a friendly email: info@jackiebealephotography.com or post a comment here, and I will try my best to help you as much as I can and recommend you a great company I use for insurance. I was driving myself crazy, not knowing where to start. But when I slowly got my goals together, I am finally at peace.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE ARTICLE

0 comments: