Thursday, November 11, 2010

Next on the wish list



Drumroll please!...................................................




That's right! The Canon 50mm 1.2. It doesn't get any better than this. I currently shoot with the canon 50mm 1.4 which is a superb lens! but I've rented the 50mm 1.2 many times for weddings and I have to say that it's on my camera about 80% of the time. I don't mind using my legs to move around when I want to zoom in or out. That's what you have to do when you shoot with prime lenses, but the end results makes all your hard work well worth it. Prime lenses have the ability to produce sharp, clear images with beautiful bokeh (background blur) that no other lenses can. It's because they normally have very low apertures that create buttery smooth and tact sharp images. Skin tones are much more accurate, eyes sparkle, and details are as crisp as can be. Ever since I started shooting, I have only used prime lenses. At weddings, I use prime lenses 90% of the time, and take out my zoom usually for the ceremony to shoot from the back of the church or from the side. With prime lenses, you can get away with shooting in a church with low light without having to using the flash. The only warning that I can give you when shooting with low apertures and shallow depth of fields is that to be careful of where you place your focus point. You won't have very much room for sharpness at an aperture of 1.2, so you'll have to be extremely careful to get that focus right in your subjects eye and hold the camera steady. I would not recommend shooting wide open when subjects are moving, as you'll get the majority of the shots blury. With everything else in life, I believe it all comes with alot of experience and trial and error, so the more you practice shooting wide open, the better your photos will be! :)


Happy shooting!

0 comments: