Monday, June 14, 2010

The Couch-to-5K running plan



So, it is decided.

After finding tons of inspiration from watching Jillian Michaels kick butt on the biggest looser, plus the scale telling me that I'm at the heaviest I've ever been in my life, I've decided it was time to get up and do something about this.

For the past couple of months, I've felt this heavy burden on my body. I've literally felt that I've been suffocating, and I didn't feel free anymore like I use to. It's amazing that how you feel physically can really impact almost every aspect of your life. I miss having so much energy, motivation and the feeling that I can conquer anything! I want those things back in my life.

The past few days, I've really been watching what I eat and how much I eat. My body has responded to this change and it feels much more alert and less tired. Next, was to get outside and start exercising. My mind is already so focused in really trying to eat healthier, so my next thing was to include workouts.

A huge goal I've set for myself, and I've never ever done this before, is run a 5k without stopping. I know I have a long way to go but I am so determined than ever before to do this. I think to loose weight is an awesome goal, but I want to do more than just that. I want to be healthy, and I want to be a runner. Not a professional runner. Just someone who can make running and exercising part of their lifestyle. I feel like if I can accomplish this 5k, that I can really do this. I can push myself even further.

So I went to the internet and looked up a few articles on how to train for a 5k. Here is a really good schedule that I found and that I think it will be perfect for me. I have to keep reminding myself to not get too excited because I tend to want to start off fast and forget that it takes time, and lots of patience, to go from a couch potatoe to a runner.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE SCHEDULE
If anyone reads this blog post and is interested in running a 5k also, I would love to be able to keep tabs on you. I think it will help one another to know that there are people out there striving for the same goal and it's nice to be able to have a companion :)
I'll keep my blog updated of my progress, and maybe, some before and after pics!

2 comments:

Vegan Runner Mommy said...

Good girl!! You will feel so much better for it too :)
We are running a 5k in September for breast cancer if you want to join.
The training isn't that easy at first but don't give up You can do it!!!

Jackie Beale said...

oh wow that's awesome sj!! Where is the 5k going to be held at? I'm really excited about this. Just the fact that I'm out running is a HUGE deal for me and way out of my comfort zone...which will make it so much sweeter when I accomplish this!! :D