Thursday, September 17, 2009

Kill with Kindness



Ok this thought has crossed my mind over and over again for the past few weeks. I don't know why, it's not like anyone in particular has been extremely mean to me, but I like to be made aware of my surroundings, which include what is going on in the world by watching TV or reading articles in the internet, the way people react on the highway, my co-workers, and also my friends on facebook. It seems like lately, the economy, along with the daily pressures of life has taken a negetaive toll on a few people. Now I'm not saying that I'm immune to this or that I'm bubbly 24/7, but I do think that other people's attitude can have a big affect in how you handle things.

I have been told, ever since I can remember, that I am too nice, or that I justify people too much, and because of this, I have at times felt like my kindness has been taken advantage of. At one phase in my life, I started acting the opposite: Rebelious, snippy, and didn't care what anybody said. Yes, I do believe that you shouldn't worry too much about what others may say about you, especially if they don't know all the facts, but there is a way to take helpless critizism gracefully. You can simply say: "Thank you very much. I will take your advice in consideration". Then simply move on.

Being kind to others is not a weakness. To me, it shows courage and gracefulness, traits that can be truely admired. Although obviously, it may be hard to practice this daily, the end result can be quite satisfying and it's something I strive to remember whenever I come across a difficult person or problem.  But we have the power, yes I said we have power, to dynamicaly change the situation and make it a pleasant outcome. So it's best to not worry about what the other person will do, but instead focus on the truth. At the end of the day, it's satisfying to know you've done all you can about a particular situation and leave it in God's hands. And if the other party doesn't believe you or doesn't accept your apology, then its' up to them and God and you move on and focus on you, not what the other person is doing or saying, or thinking. Negative thoughts are toxic. Leave them behind. Don't open wounds that are already healed.

Kindness can also be shown on the smaller things in life, like smiling to strangers and saying hello. Maybe it will brighten someone's day. Ok, I hope I'm not sounding too cheesy here or totally discombobulated with my thoughts but that's enough from me today. I just needed to get this off my chest. Please remember to be kind to others and hopefully we can contribute a little bit of goodness to this world. It will feel so much better :)
"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel" - Maya Angelou

2 comments:

Beki said...

I have actually had people not like me, typically people with all around bad attitudes, because they say that I am "too bubbly". I mean, what the fuzz is up with that? But you know what? I've been known for my sunny disposition and it has helped me far more than it has hurt me. There is so much to gain from being happy. I may be the only glimpse of Christ that anyone ever sees in their lifetime. I want to make them remember ;)

Now it is my turn to contribute goodness by telling you how AWESOME and SPECTACULAR you are and how glad I am to have friended :)

<3 <3

~~JAZ~~ said...

Very well said chiquita!!